Margaritaville at Sea inaugural sailing delayed 2 weeks
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Jimmy Buffett fans hoping to get a taste of the island life the acclaimed musician so often sings about will have to wait a bit longer for their cheeseburger in paradise.
Buffett’s latest foray into the cruise industry – Margaritaville at Sea – was scheduled to set sail on April 30 but, as a result of shipping delays, has been pushed back two weeks to May 14.
For cruise news, reviews and tips, sign up for TPG’s cruise newsletter.
The sailing will take place on board the Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line’s Grand Classica, a 30-year-old, 1,680-passenger ship that is being rebranded as the Margaritaville at Sea Paradise.
In fact, the Grand Classica’s final sailing leaves the Port of Palm Beach in Florida on April 16 and returns April 18. That leaves less than two weeks to overhaul the ship and hit the original April 30 launch of Margaritaville at Sea. Even without delays, that’s a tight turnaround.
COVID-19-era cruise ship delays are not unheard of, but most have been new-builds, not dry dock remodels. Oneil Khosa, CEO of Margaritaville at Sea, said in a statement, “Due to global shipping delays and in an effort to ensure the very best onboard experience, we have made the decision to postpone our first passenger sailing until May 14.” Khosa also apologized for the inconvenience caused to guests and thanked guests and Margaritaville at Seas’s business partners for their patience.
The ship will receive the full Parrothead treatment, with a multimillion-dollar refurbishment including Margaritaville-themed bars, nautical-inspired cabin decor and the phrase “Where it’s always 5 o’clock” emblazoned on the hull.
As a result of the delay, six sailings in early May were canceled. Affected guests were given the opportunity to cancel and receive a full refund or rebook on any future sailing and receive a complimentary cabin. Any money held on the original booking for the stateroom charge will be provided as an onboard credit.
Each trip on Margaritaville at Sea is a two-night, three-day “offshore resort experience” from the Port of Palm Beach to Freeport, Grand Bahama Island. Pricing begins as low as $169 per person for an interior cabin (based on double occupancy) and includes all meals (excluding specialty dining), select nonalcoholic beverages, live entertainment and supervised kids programs. Shore excursions, alcoholic beverages, soft drinks and Wi-Fi require an additional fee.
Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville-themed businesses also include hotels, timeshares, all-inclusive resorts, bars and restaurants.
Featured image courtesy of Margaritaville at Sea
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S. and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees