Flying Blue adds discounted award tickets for kids, other family-friendly benefits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air France-KLM Flying Blue is getting a lot more valuable for families.
On Tuesday, the loyalty program officially unveiled its new “Flying Blue Family” program, which includes a series of new features designed to make it easier for families to earn and redeem miles and take advantage of elite benefits.
As TPG UK reported last week, Flying Blue members can now pool their miles with their relatives. But Flying Blue didn’t stop there. The program now also offers a 25% discount on award tickets for children, no mileage expiration for members under 18 and parental leave for elite members.
Here’s a rundown of all of the new features.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
Discount on awards for kids
The biggest and most exciting change is that Flying Blue now offers a 25% discount on award tickets for children ages 2 to 11. The discount is automatically applied when searching online — the only requirement is that the child is traveling with an adult.
What’s great about this discount is that it applies to all classes of service and partner flights. Based on our searches, taxes and fees are slightly lower for children too.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like this discount stacks with Flying Blue Promo Rewards, which offer a rotating set of discounted destinations every month.
This month, Flying Blue is running Promo Rewards between Boston and Europe. In our tests, both the adult and child passengers are charged the same amount of miles when selecting tae Promo fare.
Regardless, this is an exciting change considering that airlines generally only offer discounted awards for infants. A 25% discount is quite generous and can easily save families thousands of miles, even on a domestic U.S. economy award on Delta.
Related: Tips for lap infant award travel
Flying Blue has always allowed miles to be transferred between accounts. However, this generally came with a hefty fee, which could defeat the whole purpose of the award.
Previously, free transfers were only available through the Share & Fly feature. This feature is only included with Flying Blue’s cobranded American Express credit cards, and these cards aren’t available in the U.S.
Now, anyone can share miles for free with the new Family Account feature. Flying Blue members can pool miles with up to eight relatives. That said, members are limited to two adults over 18 years old and six children.
To start your own Flying Blue Family account:
- Log in to the Flying Blue website and navigate to My Profile.
- Click “Flying Blue Family” in the sidebar menu and add your first family member.
- After doing so, you will automatically become the Flying Blue Family Leader.
Within a family, the designated Leader is the only one that can transfer miles into their account. You can only be part of one Flying Blue Family at a time, and you can only leave a family account once you have been a part of it for six months.
No mileage expiration for kids and teens
Flying Blue miles usually expire after 24 months of no activity, meaning that a user hasn’t earned or redeemed miles in this time frame. Effective immediately, members under 18 years old are exempt from mileage expiration. This is a more generous policy compared to some other European carriers.
Parental leave for elite members
Finally, Flying Blue now allows new parents to put their elite status on hold. This means you can pause your benefits as you spend time at home with your new child and not stress about maintaining your status.
While details about this benefit are slim, these status extensions are generally for up to one year and are requested via email.
The Flying Blue program is very popular among award travelers as it offers many airline partners and the miles are extremely easy to earn, even for those based in the U.S. You can transfer in miles from any major transferable points currency, including American Express Membership Rewards, Capital One, Citi ThankYou, Chase Ultimate Rewards and Marriott Bonvoy.
Now, the program is even more attractive for those traveling with children, thanks to a generous discount on awards for children, along with several other family-friendly features.
Featured photo by Eric Rosen/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S. and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees