Check to see your mystery bonus with the American and United shopping portals
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This is TPG’s permanent page with all currently available airline shopping portal promotions, so you can bookmark it and check back regularly for updates.
If you have any big purchases to make, listen up so you can earn a whole bunch of bonus miles in the process.
Several U.S. airlines, including American and United, are currently offering hundreds of bonus miles for making purchases through their online shopping portals. Considering the portals already offer 20 miles per dollar or more for certain stores, you can rack up some serious miles with these bonuses.
Unlike typical shopping portal promotions, the latest round of bonuses is targeted. Although everyone is eligible for an offer, the actual bonus and spending requirements vary from one member to the next. For instance, in the past, we’ve seen offers such as 500 bonus miles after spending $150 or 1,000 bonus miles after spending $300.
You’ll also want to keep their end dates in mind as they’ll only be available for a limited time.
Here’s a closer look at the offers.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping
The American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping “Mystery Bonus” offer will run through April 16 at 11:59 p.m. ET. You’ll need to log in to your account and visit this page to see the bonus you’re offered.
Regardless of the offer you’re targeted for, it will be a one-time bonus based on cumulative purchases made through the platform, so it can be spread across multiple purchases. Of course, the bonus is in addition to the miles you’d earn with the specific merchant and the points you’d earn paying with a rewards credit card.
Your qualifying spending excludes shipping, taxes and other fees associated with your purchase(s), and some items or categories aren’t eligible. As always, carefully review the terms for each merchant so you don’t miss out on the bonus miles.
Keep in mind that base miles earned through the shopping portal count toward elite qualifying Loyalty Points. However, bonus miles from limited-time spending offers like this do not count.
For full details on this offer, visit this page.
United Airlines MileagePlus Shopping
United MileagePlus Shopping also announced a “Mystery Bonus” that varies from one member to the next. It’s valid through April 20 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
You’ll need to log in to your account and visit this page to see what bonus you’re being offered. Of course, the bonus is in addition to the miles you’d earn with the specific merchant.
Again, the same restrictions noted above still stand. Shipping, taxes and any other fees associated with your purchase(s) and some items or categories aren’t eligible. Review the individual merchant’s terms to understand exactly how you’ll earn miles.
For full details on this offer, visit this page.
How to maximize these offers
These new bonuses are decent, and with many readers shopping online these days, this represents a great option to earn bonus miles on purchases you were already planning to make. You can also stack these rewards by adding additional discounts and offers to the card you use via programs such as Amex Offers.
For example, let’s say you were targeted for 500 bonus American miles when you spend $125, and you have an Amex Offer for Godiva on your The Platinum Card® from American Express that gives $10 back when you spend $50 or more on Godiva’s website.
In addition to the bonus, say American is offering 6 miles for every dollar spent at Godiva. If you spent $125 on Godiva chocolates through the American portal, you’d walk away with 1,250 American miles (750 + 500 bonus miles), 125 Amex Membership Rewards points at 1 point per dollar charged to the card and $10 back as a statement credit. This is a substantial earning if you already plan on buying chocolate.
Eligibility for this offer is limited. Enrollment is required in the Amex Offers section of your account before redeeming.
By going through these portals, you’re potentially giving up rewards through other portals — like Rakuten or Chase. Use an online tool like Cashback Monitor to compare earning rates and select the best option.
Use the right credit card
It’s critical to swipe the right credit card when making online purchases, so pay close attention to any bonus categories that might apply to the merchant at which you’re shopping. If there’s no additional bonus or discount potential, make sure you use a credit card with high earning rates on non-bonus spending. Great options include cards like the following:
- Chase Freedom Unlimited: Earn 5% cash back on travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3% back on drugstore purchases and on dining, and 1.5% on all other purchases. You can also earn an additional 1.5% cash back on all categories (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year). You can convert this cash back to Chase Ultimate Rewards points if you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve or Ink Business Preferred Credit Card.
- Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card: Earn 2 Capital One miles per dollar spent on everyday purchases.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: Earn 2 Capital One miles per dollar spent on everyday purchases.
- The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express: Earn 2 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent, on up to $50,000 per calendar year (then 1 point per dollar).
Be sure to read our guide to the best credit cards for everyday spending to see which cards will maximize your returns for online purchases.
Additional reporting by Andrew Kunesh and Nick Ewen.
Featured photo by Yuganov Konstantin/Shutterstock.com.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery in the U.S. and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees